Job Description for Chief Executive Officer of the San Marcos Area Chamber of Commerce
About the Community: Considered to be one of the oldest, continually inhabited sites in America, San Marcos has been drawing families and businesses to settle along the banks of the cool, aquifer-fed river that runs through it for generations. BusinessWeek magazine picked San Marcos as the best place in Texas to raise your kids, and Texans have responded with an increasing number of students enrolled from elementary through college, with the ever-expanding Texas State University campus near the heart of downtown. San Marcos and its Outlet Malls continually ranks in the top three tourist destinations in the state. Less than an hour’s drive from two of Texas’ largest metro areas, it’s important that the next CEO of the San Marcos Area Chamber of Commerce work to build a collaborative, integrated business infrastructure to support our fast-growing and diverse community. We’re looking for and executive who has demonstrated the ability to build on a solid foundation to achieve our goals in workforce and economic development, tourism and enhancing the quality of life for our members in the greater San Marcos area.
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports To: Chairman/Board of Directors/Executive Committee
Duties/Responsibilities: This position will serve as the chief executive and administrative officer of the San Marcos Area Chamber of Commerce and shall perform such duties as required of that position. The CEO is the liaison with the Board of Directors, Chamber Members, Chamber Staff and with the community. The CEO supervises entire chamber staff and has the responsibility of recruiting, hiring and terminations.
Additionally, the chief executive will:
• Serve as the key resource in relating policies, strategies, and various courses of action to the Executive Board, Board of Directors, professional team, membership, committees and public to achieve the chamber’s goals.
• Create and maintain a relationship with a constantly evolving Board of Directors characterized by open and thoughtful communication, trust, and a cooperative spirit.
• Lead the development, accountability, and measurement of goals.
• Respond to changes in the economy.
• Identify new opportunities for growth and leadership in the business community.
• Focus on continuous improvement in client service and program development to meet community needs.
• Assure the compliance of staff action with the Executive Board policy and for directing subordinates in converting broad policies into realistic programs.
• The CEO supervises the execution of all contracts entered into by the San Marcos Chamber of Commerce.
• Maintains general responsibility for management of the organization’s finances.
• Prepares annual budget and develops general plans for meeting the budget.
Member and Public Relations:
• The CEO is responsible for all communication to the membership, media and general public.
• Prepares or directs all correspondence such as official Chamber publications, pamphlets, newsletters, magazines, columns, articles and fact sheets.
• Serves as the contact between the Chamber and the media, representing the Chamber at appropriate meetings.
• Promotes and enhances the role of the Chamber in the community with government entities, elected officials, businesses and residents.
• Responsible for maintaining new and existing membership at a level that will ensure necessary income for the operations of the Chamber.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience
• Chamber / Association / Non-Profit Experience
• Attention to Detail
• Innovative Ideas
• Experience with Public Policy and advocacy
• Public Speaking
• Strategic Planning / Visioning
Minimal Requirements to fill the position
• Bachelor’s degree in the area(s) of association management, public relations, business, and/or marketing from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience. Additional preference given to candidates with a master’s degree.
• Five years of executive management leadership experience in the chamber of commerce, association, business, economic development, and/or community development field, or a combination of these.
• Graduate of the Institute of Organizational Management (IOM) preferred; established CCE or in-process preferred.
• A proven extended tenure in leading an organization through visionary growth and meaningful change to improve the business environment of the community.
• An innovative, creative, and strategic thinker who has experience in developing relevant programs and goals to enhance the quality of life in the region.
• Experienced collaborator, team builder, and leader who will effectively represent the chamber in many environments.
• A proven track record of successfully working with a volunteer board, governments, and volunteer stakeholders.
• Highly skilled in motivational techniques and directive group dynamics in order to guide committees to the successful completion of assigned goals.
Strongly Recommended: CEO will reside within San Marcos city limits.
Contact Info: Tentative start date for this position is August 1, 2022. Please submit your resume, cover letter (which should include a narrative of why you believe you will be a successful candidate) and preferred methods of contact to the San Marcos Area Chamber of Commerce office by emailing your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: San Marcos Chamber of Commerce Search Committee.